Want help with Anxiety?
Depression and Anxiety are on the same continuum. Today, it has become somewhat of an epidemic and most often many of us suffering from anxiety oscillate between the two in varying degrees. I have many personal views on why this is the case but that is for another time. For the most part – it is simply because we just cannot maintain and sustain the stress of our fast-paced lifestyles and because most of us suffer from nutritional deficiencies. I have also been diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorder a few years ago. It literally left me unable to function for quite a few months.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a very general term for several disorders that cause nervousness, fear, apprehension, and worrying. This, in turn, can escalate to panic and be very debilitating. It is also something that we often can’t control. For me, it was like I just could not find the off switch anymore, regardless of what logic my mind put forward.
Common anxiety symptoms may include (but are not limited to):
- Feeling apprehensive, this can be constant.
- Feeling powerless.
- Having a sense of impending danger, panic or doom.
- Feeling trapped.
- Never sure of yourself.
- Having an increased heart rate.
- Breathing rapidly or shallow breathing (hyperventilation).
- Trembling, sweating and/or clammy.
- Feeling weak or fatigued.
- Feeling dizzy or disoriented.
There are different types of anxiety disorders that may include (but are not limited to):
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
Most of us manage and/or adapt to our symptoms on a daily basis. Overcoming anxiety is a journey and there are many factors involved. What also helps is trying to figure out what set this all up for you in the first place. For me it was a combination of PTSD, poor gut function and a genetic blueprint. Chronic stress and worry is part of our programming.
Each person experiences anxiety in their own unique way, but the expression of symptoms stems from excessive, irrational fear and dread. This alone is frustrating and you may even feel like you are going mad (which you are not)!
The journey to your optimum wellness is often complex and there is not one quick fix. Dealing with and overcoming anxiety mostly involves:
- developing good self-awareness and mindfulness (counselling is often a good place to start)
- lifestyle changes (managing your life instead of life managing you)
- learning relaxation techniques.
- nutrition and gut health awareness including individualised nutritional supplements prescribed by a practitioner to suit your blueprint
- seeking out alternative solutions, for example homeopathic remedies that may assist with managing symptoms.
- Gentle movement or low impact exercise – for example, walking in nature, swimming, yoga, Pilates, tai chi etc.
- Bringing in quality essential oils into your life to clean up the energy in the home and for their calming and balancing abilities.
Conventional Treatment can involve medicines, psychotherapy or both! Sometimes this level of intervention may be necessary – alongside nutritional support and guidance. As a stand along treatment, it is not really sufficient for gaining traction towards better health.
This may all feel overwhelming at first, so finding just one place to start is all you need to do. There are quite a few wonderful homeopathic remedies that can be applied to anxiety symptoms, which may assist in bringing some calm and direction. Even if you are medicated, much can be done to improve your general sense of non-health and unwell-being. Gut health plays an enormous role with our mood and nervous system.
Finding a good support team or network is essential. Trying to figure it all out on your own is not just overwhelming it’s hard for you to see what is in your blind spot. For me, my support became my GP (he supports my values), a good psychologist, a clinical nutritionist, my chiropractor, a good massage therapist (to help keep me grounded) and various other practitioners, including homeopathy and essential oils. Even knowing what I know, I could not work out a clear direction forward out of my misery without help. Of course, you don’t have to do everything at once however, deciding to take just one step forward will immediately give you a feeling of taking back some control over your life, and a feeling of relief in not having to figure it all out by yourself.
The main thing to remember is that you are not alone, and quality of life can be established again! Need assistance. BOOK HERE
Veronica, your favorite Brisbane homeopath
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to treat or diagnose symptoms. Homoeopathy is a traditional medicine. Homeopathy may be used in conjunction with other medicines. For any ongoing chronic condition, it is important to be assessed or examined by your healthcare professional or specialist. Always seek medical advice in emergencies.
Click this link to read the disclaimer.