Want help with Anxiety?
Depression and Anxiety are on the same continuum. Often many of us suffering from anxiety oscillate between the two. Today, anxiety has become somewhat of an epidemic. I have many personal views on why this is the case but that is for another time. For the most part – it is simply because we just cannot maintain and sustain the stress of our fast-paced lifestyles.
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a very general term for several disorders that cause nervousness, fear, apprehension, and worrying. This, in turn, can cause panic and be very debilitating.
Common anxiety symptoms may include (but not limited to):
- Feeling apprehensive, this can be constant.
- Feeling powerless.
- Having a sense of impending danger, panic or doom.
- Feeling trapped.
- Never sure of yourself.
- Having an increased heart rate.
- Breathing rapidly or shallow breathing (hyperventilation).
- Trembling, sweating and or clammy.
- Feeling weak or fatigued.
- Feeling dizzy or disoriented.
There are different types of anxiety disorders that may include (but not limited to):
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
I know firsthand how anxiety can affect your life as my own experiences with anxiety and panic have been life changing for me. Overcoming anxiety is a journey and there are many factors involved. What also helps is trying to figure out what set this all up for you in the first place. For me it was a combination of PTSD, poor gut function and a genetic blueprint.
Each person experiences anxiety in their own unique way, but the expression of symptoms stems from excessive, irrational fear and dread. This alone is frustrating and you may even feel like you are going mad (which you are not)!
The journey to “wholeness” is often complex and there is not one quick fix. Dealing with and overcoming anxiety mostly involves:
- developing good self-awareness and mindfulness (counselling is often a good place to start)
- lifestyle changes (managing your life instead of life managing you)
- learning relaxation techniques.
- nutrition and gut health awareness including individualised supplements prescribed by a practitioner to suit your blueprint
- and there are some amazing homeopathic remedies that may assist with anxiety disorders.
- Finding a good support team or network. Trying to figure it all out on your own is not just overwhelming but you cannot see what is in your blind spot. For me, this became my GP (he supports my values), a good phycologist, a clinical nutritionist, my chiropractor, a good massage therapist (to help keep me grounded) and various other practitioners, including homeopathy and essential oils. Even knowing what I know, I could not work out a clear direction forward out of my misery without help.
- Gentle movement or low impact exercise – for example, walking in nature, swimming, yoga, Pilates, tai chi etc.
Conventional Treatment can involve medicines, psychotherapy or both! Sometimes this level of intervention may be necessary – alongside nutritional support and guidance.
Homeopathy for symptoms of anxiety:
A few of the most common homeopathic medicines prescribed in helping sufferers of anxiety disorders include:
May assist with anxiety often related to grief, romantic break up or worries. Mood swings and changeable symptoms. Tendency to constricted feeling or sensation of a lump in the throat. Often valuable for pent up resentment and feelings of disappointment
A brilliant remedy that may assist with symptoms of Anticipation anxiety; a heavy, foggy head feeling; trembling body; excessive sweating; diarrhoea and frequent urination due to anxiety. Maybe useful for things like stage fright, or before travel (flying), before exams or job interviews
May assist with panic attacks, often there is irrational fears about the situations you are in during the attacks and you begin to avoid them. Anxious, always feeling too rushed. Diarrhoea from being anxious. Panic attacks on planes, bridges, fear in narrow places. For me, it was shopping centres.
May assist with symptoms of anxiety due to sudden fright or shock. Sudden anxiety, palpitations, irrational fears and feeling unsettled.
There are many more Homeopathic remedies that may assist with managing anxiety, even if you are on medications. The main thing to remember is that you are not alone, and quality of life can be established.
Veronica, your favorite Brisbane homeopath
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to treat or diagnose symptoms. Homoeopathy is a traditional medicine. Homeopathy may be used in conjunction with other medicines. For any ongoing chronic condition, it is important to be assessed or examined by your healthcare professional or specialist. Always seek medical advice in emergencies.
Click this link to read the disclaimer.