From its inception, homeopathy has developed and grown into a system of medicine unique to itself, offering a wide variety of remedies for use in therapeutic practice and preventive medicine.
Natural with no side effects, homeopathic medicines are used by millions of people worldwide including the British Royal Family.
Homeopathic education is the equivalent of a University degree and our profession is government regulated.
Homeopaths have their own dispensary with homeopathic medicines. To date, there is over 5000 homeopathic remedies available.
Most homeopaths work with approximately 100 remedies on a day to day basis.
What is Homeopathy?
Created by Dr Samuel Hahnemann, a German Doctor in the late 1700’s, Homeopathy is used all around the world to treat a wide range of ailments in a natural way.
It’s estimated that 500 million people receive homeopathic treatment on a yearly basis worldwide. The World Health Organisation (WHO – 2005) reports that homeopathy is the second largest medical system people depend upon for primary healthcare in the world.
Substances that on the one end of the scale can cause symptoms of disease, can on the other end also help heal. The medicines stimulate the body’s ability to heal itself, therefore recognising its own intelligence.
Think about coffee, as an example. On the one hand coffee can over-stimulate the nervous system and cause insomnia while in Homeopathic preparation of micro doses coffee relieves insomnia.
Homeopathy looks at the cause.
Why is this person suffering from recurring illnesses or disease?
Your symptoms are the way your physical body is telling you there is an imbalance whether physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually.
Too often doctors and therapists assume that a person’s symptoms are the disease and that simply treating these symptoms is the best way to be rid of the symptoms.
Such treatment could be compared to trying to unplug a car’s emergency oil light because it is flashing. Although unplugging the bulb is effective in stopping that irritating flashing light, it does nothing to change the reason it is giving its warning.
A beautiful, healthy garden needs good soil to thrive.
Disease, pests and parasites can only occur if the soil is not right.
The ‘Soil’ is your:
- Immune system – mostly found in the gut
- Resilience to stress
- Balance (good nutrition, sleep, rest & play)
- Recovery from trauma
- What we have inherited
What is involved?
A lot of detective work! You’ll find I ask a LOT of questions and more questions. I take an holistic approach to becoming well, taking into account the totality of all symptoms, not just the sore throat. I frequently use pathology testing (blood and allergy) to assist with finding the cause.
What do you do?
I work on 3 levels:
- Acute prescribing
- Therapeutic prescribing
- Constitutional prescribing
This is for first aid prescribing including:
- Shock, falls, concussion
- bruising, tissue trauma
- Injury management eg sports injuries
- Insect bites, stings,
- Before and after surgery management
- Assisting with burn injuries (shock)
- Can also be acute
- Colds, flu, tonsillitis, sinusitis, chronic ear infections
- Digestive disturbances – heartburn, reflux, IBD, constipation.
- Pre and post conception care
- Babies and children – teething, colic, sleeping issues, reflux, chronic ear/nose/throat infections
- Homeopathic prophylaxis
This covers those things that cannot be changed e.g. bone structure, colour of skin, hair and eyes etc. and the things that can be changed – for example inherited genetic tendencies or weaknesses. Homeopathy can fortify and strengthen the constitution to work toward optimum health and preventative medicine.
Constitutional prescribing includes (depending on causation):
- Hormonal imbalances in woman, men and adolescence – male or female including fertility, post natal depression and menopause symptoms.
- Anxiety/sleep issues/depression
- Digestive disturbances – heartburn, reflux, IBD, constipation – not virus related
- Emotional grief/trauma/shock – chronic
- Recurring infections
- Type 1 & 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease
- Arthritis (all forms), osteoporosis, bone issues.
- Female – recurring cystitis, chronic thrush, candida, endometriosis.
- Chronic fatigue, autoimmune illnesses
- Chronic UTI, kidney diseases
- Any chronic, recurring illnesses.
What treatment is involved?
I work with Homeopathic prescriptions, Nutrition and possibly supplements with a focus on obtaining a solution of optimum health and maintaining it. This is what I refer to as “wellness care”.
You’ll also get my support, education and encouragement. And rest assured, if for some reason I cannot fix it, I will know someone who can!
Disclaimer: Homoeopathy is a traditional medicine. It may be used in conjunction with other medicines. For any ongoing chronic condition, it is important to be assessed or examined by your healthcare professional or specialist. Always seek medical advice in emergencies.